The Affiliate Program provides an option for Humanities affiliated groups to gain access to the web, data, and file hosting resources that the Division maintains centrally. These are production level services hosted on Humanities owned equipment on campus in IT Service's Hinds Data Center.
Basic Content Management System Hosting: $1000/yr
- Current generation CMS hosting (Drupal 8 & WordPress)
- Legacy CMS versions (Drupal 7 -- for existing users only)
- Secure webforms for surveys, signups, conference registrations, etc (Supports the bursar's office's e-payment gateway)
- Up to 50GB of storage space for web related file uploads, etc (larger quotas available -- contact us for details)
Advanced CMS + Data Hosting: $1500/yr
- Everything from Basic
- Advanced CMS hosting (direct access for theme and modules, Apache Solr, additional development/staging options)
- Legacy CMS versions (Drupal 6 -- for existing users only)
- Shared LAMP hosting (includes SFTP or shell access as needed)
- Ruby on Rails application hosting
- Apache Solr search indexing
- FileMaker database/application hosting
- Web based A/V media consulting
Advanced Hosting with content updates: $2000/yr
- Everything from Advanced
- Access to hcs-web content update service for static, WordPress, or Drupal sites.
About our CMS hosting
- We support and maintain network installs of WordPress, Drupal 7, and Drupal 8
- You may have as many sites as you like of either type (within reason)
- We patch all software for both CMS systems and their themes/plugins/modules. If you want to keep your modules at a specific version we can accommodate (as long as there are no known security vulnerabilities).
- Content Updates: You are responsible for adding initial content and making content updates. Advanced+Updates includes access to hcs-web, our email based content update service. (you can email instructions in English and we will perform the updates)
- WordPress themes: We have 20+ WordPress themes pre-installed for you to choose from. If you would like to find, buy, or commission a new theme we would be happy to install it for you.
- WordPress plugins: We have a large number of commonly used WordPress plugins. We will install additional ones from WordPress.com upon request.
- Drupal themes: We will install any theme from Drupal.org or ones that you buy/commission.
- Drupal modules: We have a large set of commonly used modules. We will install new modules upon request. We can provide git access if you would like to install modules or edit themes directly (Advanced plan only).
- We will coordinate with third party WordPress or Drupal site/theme developers to make sure that their sites will work in our environment.
- Affiliate services are run on the same equipment and software that our core divisional services are run on. This is a cluster of web servers designed for high performance and high availability.
- There is no SLA for the affiliate program, however, if it is any consolation, if your site is down then our sites are probably down too.
- Humanities Affiliate Drupal Hosting Guide
Storage Space: 50GB storage shared across all services included, Additional storage is available for a fee on a case by case basis. Contact Peter Thorson (firstname.lastname@example.org) for details.
Colocation/VM hosting/server & research backup: Provided via case by case contracts. Contact Peter Thorson (email@example.com) for details.
Consulting, Drupal coding/configuration/theming, etc: Provided via case by case contracts. Contact Peter Thorson (firstname.lastname@example.org) for details.
Calendars: Free calendars are available through the University's free Bedework calendar. Our Drupal and WordPress sites have custom Bedework integration options to make embedded Bedework calendars on your site look great.
Wiki: No charges for existing wiki spaces. New wiki spaces should be created at wiki.uchicago.edu (free).
Backup: Data backup and restore is included with all services at all tiers.
Eligibility for the Humanities Division computing affiliate program is determined by the Humanities Division. In general eligible groups are University of Chicago units with connections to the Humanities Division but not fully funded by the Division. Contact Peter Thorson (email@example.com) for details.